An IRA (Individual Retirement Account) is a special savings plan authorized by the federal government to help you accumulate funds for your future.
Every individual who has earned income or received alimony is able to contribute to an IRA.
Originally, IRAs were set up only for retirement savings. Now, IRAs can help you save for retirement, a first home or a college education.
Since earnings inside an IRA are tax-deferred, an IRA can help you reduce your tax bill each year while you save for your goals.
There are two types of IRAs. The criteria and benefits of the Traditional and Roth IRAs are listed below.
- Opportunity for tax-deductible contributions
- Contribute up to $5500.00 per year (Over 50? You can contribute an additional $1000.00 per year as a catch up contribution)
- Available to anyone under age 70½ with compensation
- Tax-deferred earnings
- Required minimum distributions begin at age 70½
- Government Penalty-free withdrawals for a first-time home purchase or higher-education expenses
- USSCO’s traditional or Roth IRA certificates require a minimum deposit of $500.00 and may be invested for terms of 18 to 60 months. 6 month interest penalty for withdrawal from IRA certificate before renewal date.
- Nondeductible contributions
- You may contribute up to $5500.00. This amount may be a combination of both Traditional and Roth IRAs. If age 50 you may contribute an additional $1000.00 as a catch up contribution
- Available to anyone who earns compensation and meets the income requirements
- Government Tax-free and penalty-free earnings possible for a first-time home purchase and other qualified distributions as long as the account has been open for 5 years
- May withdraw contributions tax-free and penalty-free at any time (government)
- No required minimum distributions at age 70½
- USSCO’s traditional or Roth IRA certificates require a minimum deposit of $500.00 and may be invested for terms of 18 to 60 months. 6 month interest penalty for withdrawal from IRA certificate before renewal date
View our current rates here.
We also have an accumulative IRA, which can be opened for as little as $10.00. You may make regular deposits to this account. This is an easy way to save for your future.
USSCO's IRA savings and certificates are insured up to $250,000.00 per person by the NCUA (through the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund) seperate from your savings.